Sunday, February 24, 2013

Superstitions of Cornwall



Back in the early 1970s, when I was about 7 or 8, my parents bought me a great book, which I still read to this day: Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain. It was (and still is!) packed with tales of ghosts, witches, strange beasts, superstitions, legends and more, which kept a young, wide-eyed Nick Redfern entertained for hours.

Much space is given in the book to the myths of the English county of Cornwall, an ancient land filled with magic and mystery.

But, if you don't have the book, no worries, you can find some fascinating data on the high-strangeness-based superstitions of Cornwall in a new post from Kithra.

As she notes:

"...many of these old superstitions have now died out in Cornwall, which is I'm sure a very good thing. But, in some parts of the county I suspect that a few of them still persist. Such is the old 'magic and myth' of this beautiful place in which I'm lucky enough to live."

PS: Yes, that's my now tattered and battered copy of Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain, photographed this morning. And, looking inside, I see it was published in 1973. Forty years has flown by since I first immersed myself in its cool and creepy pages...!

No comments:

Post a Comment